Old January 7th 07, 04:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Clem Clem is offline

Default Code is very close to dead. Slow Code please read.

Diana Satyr wrote in
:

In article 36,
Clem wrote:

"Douche Bag" wrote in
ps.com:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/27/bu...l?_r=1&em&ex=1
167 368400&en=19d9459b705ce909&ei=5087%0A&oref=slogin

That ancient code as you put it is a language made in heaven.

When Amtor, Pactor, this TOR or that TOR, SSTV and even phone can't
make it through, the Lord was kind enough to provide us with cw.

One thing you failed to notice was that the FCC did not do away with
CW. No no no ... it can still be used. Wait until contest time you
witless twit!

CW blows phone away when conditions are tough. If you want to see
skill and savvy at work then build a Captain Decoder kit and "listen"
in. Of course that's providing you have such skills.

You think your all that because you took a written test and passed?
HA! Dig out a test sheet from before the age of transistors and
chips.

You'll fast discover my friend that earlier on in this world people
developed skills, real skills, not a fast or cheap introduction with
a yellow and black book befittingly described as "For Dummies!"

I can see the day when the station you want to talk to the most can't
hear a peep out of you because you don't have the skills or knowledge
to do much more than turn equipment on or off.

Yes sir, that's where Amateur Radio it's heading to, a bargain
basement of radio licenses because nobody could set the kid straight
and teach him a few dits and dahs. Impress me and learn a new trick
besides roll over and play dead!

Now things are just as they should be. Folks (mostly old) who like
code are free to use it. The few folks who want to learn it are
likewise free to do so. But no-one anymore has to go through said
agonizingly boring process just to become a ham.

Moonman

No, things are NOT as they should be. CW never was and never will be an
"older generation" issue. There was a purpose and reason for knowing cw
and being required to pass a cw test to hold a license.

Unfortunately, the F.C.C. lost sight of that issue and grew weary of ham
want-to-be's screaming Gimmie! Gimmie! This new ruling is just another
example of how higher authority gets tired of the whining and crying and
gives in. Bad move.

I stand on what I said earlier. Some people think getting a license should
be as easy as ordering a Big Mac. I suppose we should do the same thing for
drivers and pilots licensing too. Makes me feel real secure. NOT!

Perhaps you never came across an instructor or training package suited to
your level of learning. That doesn't mean it's difficult to learn or your
incapable.

I was a VE and I have taught people between 7 and 80, literally. I have
taught cw to people with disabilities who rather than opt for a waiver that
would have made licensing easier for them, kept at it until they passed.

There is more than one way to pass a cw test. Only once had I witnessed
someone who after 5 attempts was allowed to take the test by other than
conventional means. When he was told he passed he almost fell out of his
chair.

New hams today just want it easier. You didn't win anything because the
F.C.C. lifted the requirment, you lost the ability to be apart of something
that could have expanded your horizons. Don't you feel better now that you
impossed a self limitation on yourself?