Old January 7th 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
K3HVG K3HVG is offline

Default What is BEST all-tube, general coverage receiver under $1000?Under $2000?

For the info of all, in case you haven't seen his ad, there's a Canadian
guy that sells a very nice product detector kit on Epay. The price
(about $175) is a lot less that the HC-10 or the several "CV-xxx" SSB
converters. It has worked (on my gear) very well. It also will work
with virtually any receiver with an I.F. of either 455 or 500 kHz. That
could dispel worries of no SSB detection capability on a given receiver.
Also, there's a company out West (S&S Engineering) that sells a
multi-offset VFO that will convert any suitable receiver to general
coverage. I did an article for the Drake R-4C (et al) using this unit.
It beats the heck out of the Drake synthesizer abomination. FYI, the
article was in ER, last year. Regards K3HVG