Old January 7th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Mike Andrews Mike Andrews is offline

Default What is BEST all-tube, general coverage receiver under $1000? Under $2000?

On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 13:28:57 -0000, Steve H mycalland remove the blank@arrl .net wrote in :
"C. J. Clegg" wrote in message
news

Looking for the best all-tube general-coverage (0.5-30) receiver I can
get.

Need good operation on SSB and CW and capability on AM, along with
sensitivity, stability, ruggedness, and availability of replacement parts
e.g. tubes (that last one might be difficult...).

I'm thinking Collins 51Jx or R-390, although I remember that I really
liked an old Hammarlund I had once...

Would like to stay under $1000 but if I had to I suppose I could go as
high as $2000 for something that's really mint.

What do you guys recommend I look for?

Have a look on ebay for a RACAL RA17 , they tend to go cheaply as there are
so many about. No problem with replacement valves.

My correspondent in .UK who has an RA-17 _loves_ it. He has had various
other fairly-good RXes, including at least one Collins 51J, but thinks
his RA-17 beats them all hollow. Look up "Wadley loop"[1] for insight
into why the RA-17 is pretty darned stable.

Or simply look at
http://www.televideo.ws/wadley.html,
http://www.qsl.net/vk3jeg/b_wadley.html, and
http://www.qsl.net/n4xy/rcvr_racal.html
for a start.

If I had house space for an RA-17, I'd be looking for one -- to go
with the R-390, 2 R-390A, FRG-100, DEBEG 2000, RA-6217E, ITT/Mackay
3020, and the ricebox appliances.

[1] With the quotes this time.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO