Old January 7th 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Stan Barr Stan Barr is offline

Default What is BEST all-tube, general coverage receiver under $1000? Under $2000?

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 09:26:41 -0500, Roger D Johnson wrote:

Virtually all of the high end military vacuum tube boat anchors were
designed before SSB became common. They require an external converter
or the addition of a product detector and AGC mods to work properly.

My Racal RA-17 works fine on SSB, you just have to remember to adjust the
attenuator and/or IF gain to stop the detector overloading. Agc is
switchable for short/long time constant. There are external ssb and isb
adapters, the set has connectors for one, but I've not found one yet...

--
Cheers,
Stan Barr stanb .at. dial .dot. pipex .dot. com

The future was never like this!