Old January 7th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Nomad Nomad is offline

Default What is BEST all-tube, general coverage receiver under $1000? Under $2000?

The relatively inexpensive Yaesu FRG-7 also uses the Wadley loop. It's
an excellent performer for the price (although solid state).

Terry
W8EJO

Chuck Harris wrote:
Mike Andrews wrote:
On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 13:28:57 -0000, Steve H mycalland remove the blank@arrl

.net wrote in :

Have a look on ebay for a RACAL RA17 , they tend to go cheaply as there are
so many about. No problem with replacement valves.

My correspondent in .UK who has an RA-17 _loves_ it. He has had various
other fairly-good RXes, including at least one Collins 51J, but thinks
his RA-17 beats them all hollow. Look up "Wadley loop"[1] for insight
into why the RA-17 is pretty darned stable.

Or simply look at
http://www.televideo.ws/wadley.html,
http://www.qsl.net/vk3jeg/b_wadley.html, and
http://www.qsl.net/n4xy/rcvr_racal.html
for a start.

Yes, the Racal receivers are definitely nice, and good performers.
I have a RA2617D, which is a solid state version of the RA17. It
uses the same Wadley loop to create the 1 MHz hetrodynes that do
the conversions for the 1 MHz bands. It is an interesting way of
gaining stability from the hetrodyne conversions without requiring
the hetrodyne oscillator to be especially accurate, or stable.

-Chuck