Old January 7th 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
John Smith I John Smith I is offline

Default One way to promote learning of code ...

Carl R. Stevenson wrote:
Those who like CW should take comfort ... by all reports, in most of the
other countries that have eliminated the CW requirement, MORE people are
learning it now that before - folks may choose to do something if it's
presented right and their choice, but tend not to like having things forced
upon them.

73,
Carl - wk3c

I often sit here and wonder just how much is real, and how much is memorex?

Man has always pressed machines into service, to do his work. I hardly
see where it will be any different here.

No human can send/read cw as fast as a computer. No human can dig out
the low level signals, both rf and af, as computer software can. I am
sure many contests will ban cw reading software in the future ...

I am in agreement that CW will be with us for a bit longer, however, it
will be done via keyboard with ever and ever increasing statistics and
importance.

The "new guys" (the old farts needing to catch up too) will need some of
this software/hardware to decode/key cw, it will be an "equalizer." The
OT's will have ever increasing difficulty in differing between what is
real (hand keyed) and what is computer keyed.

Here are some links for those behind, I picked these because there are
very basic utilities and hardware "kludges" to get one going
quickly--there is much better software available these days ...

I suggest an opto-isolator circuit used between sound card out and
xmitter to key.

http://www.qsl.net/wm2u/cw.html

http://www.polar-electric.com/Morse/MRP40-EN/

http://www.qsl.net/wm2u/interface.html