Old January 7th 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Michael Black Michael Black is offline

Default Were the moderated newsgroup punce just blowing smoke?

Cecil Moore ) writes:
James D. wrote:
My prediction is that your moderated group will initially attract a few
like-minded Hams, but will ultimately suffer from disinterest and boredom
and fade into oblivion within a year at most.

The qrz.com groups, including the Q&A group, is moderated.
They have been pretty successful. There are presently 108
topics in the Q&A section many with 30+ replies.

I won't go near moderated newsgroups, but on the other hand, it's hardly
"censorship" when they are created in response to all kinds of junk
in a newsgroup that is there because people have no sense of self-control.

There is ultimately a big difference between saying what you want to say,
and saying what you want to say even if it has no relevance to the topic
at hand. It's the latter that have damaged this newsgroup (with overflow
to some of the other newsgroups).

I would point out that while I basically try to tune it out, it would
seem there are attempts at "censorship" here, in the spews by a few
people who just think by repeated postings attacking other posters they
can get their way.

People who don't like others imposing rules have to accept some
responsibility in helping to ensure that any space is still a valid
space.

Michael VE2BVW