Old January 7th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
John Smith I John Smith I is offline

Default Were the moderated newsgroup punce just blowing smoke?

Cecil Moore wrote:
suggested that I edit my own postings. :-) With
freedom (of speech) comes responsibility. I forget
which founding father first said that.

Responsibility yes. But, I am sure there are as many definitions of
freedom of speech as there are mindsets.

I should think that what should be meant by this "responsibility" is
that one never uses his/her right of that freedom to infringe upon
others. I think it further implies that one defend it as those before
he/she did to insure its' availability to all others. I think that for
one to claim title and use of "freedom of speech" he or she must be
above the evil temptation of censorship and "editing" to fit ones own
purpose.

Thankfully, evil individuals and groups are rather easy to identify,
they usually can be known from their deeds, endeavors and willingness to
grant to others, what they so rightfully claim inheritance to.

I should think there is also a responsibility to use that freedom to
chase out falsehoods and self serving individuals who attempt to subdue
it to their evil purposes. Indeed, a very hideous example of this is in
how some have changed "free speech" into "politically correct." I am
sure the forefathers are turning in their graves over that perversion of
what is meant for good--turned to evil.

I have heard a few good and noble men state, in rather few words, what
the true intent and meaning of "free speech" is. I don't remember their
words verbatim, however, I can give enough so one can get the gist of
their meaning and intents, as follows:

"Although I may disagree with you on one or more accounts--or even all
your points, I will, with my life--if necessary, defend your right to
say it."

Since mankinds birth and surely until his kinds death, I doubt we shall
ever see a better definition ...

Humble regards,
JS