Old January 8th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Chuck Harris Chuck Harris is offline

Default What is BEST all-tube, general coverage receiver under $1000?Under $2000?

Scott Dorsey wrote:
C. J. Clegg wrote:
I need something that can be used on certain military HF networks outside
the amateur bands. I have been told that (for some goofball reason) I'm
not allowed to say exactly which networks, but it isn't anything that
would be particularly hard to guess if anyone cared to give it a few
minutes of thought. :-)

Skip the receiver and get a KWM-2. Receive performance is not as good
as the R-390, but it will work fine out of band (they used to be the standard
State Department issue rigs at foreign embassies) and they are a lot easier
to work on. Also, it's a lot more convenient to use.

Yes, it is, but it has a point contact diode balanced modulator/demodulator.
EMP would kill one in a heartbeat.

-Chuck