Old January 9th 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Do procode hams wipe their butts?

Lawrence Statton XE2/N1GAK wrote:

There was a group of us back in Boston in the late 80s doing that a
lot ... we had a big bin of the xtals, and were tuning them up for a
local 6m repeater.

I also had a simplex pair that I used to build a fun 2400 bps packet
rig.

This brings to mind... the military has lots of those horrible little
AN/PRT-4A transmitters selling dirt cheap on the surplus market. They
are kind of neat because they have a 455 KHz oscillator to shift the
frequency of the crystal up, allowing you to use the same crystal for
the transmitter as you did for the (seperate) receiver.

NOBODY has documentation on these things. The LOGSA database has them
still listed as unavailable except within the military. Does anyone have
a schematic on these?

As I recall, these were issued in Vietnam for communication within units,
but were mostly famous for drawing fire with their large antennae and
for poor signal quality.
--scott