Old January 10th 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Clem Clem is offline

Default Code is very close to dead. Slow Code please read.

Wrong. If you took the test and passed, you have proven your ability to
operate. Otherwise what's the point of testing?. If you ever took a cw
course or test you would understand the comment.

I was extending a personal opinion before where I commented on code
courses and the testing procedures. There's always room for improvement.

I don't concede to the fact that just because YOU believe testing does
nothing to enhance ones ability to operate, that it's true.

Your response about distress calls proves the point I have been making.
You admit to not having knowledge of cw beyond the ability to decipher
only two letters, S and O.

You can distinguish 2 of 26 letters and learning anymore according to you
is to difficult. I think you can learn more, you just won't make an
effort.

BTW, not all distress calls start out as SOS like in the movies. How
would you know you were hearing one, by looking at a computer screen all
the time?

To determine the effectiveness of a particular band you go looking for a
beacon signal. How do you know if your tuned on the right station if you
can't understand cw?

You admit the lack of cw knowledge would make it a necessity for you to
"call around" locating someone who could help if you heard a distress
call. If cw is not required anymore to obtain a license, locating someone
who does know cw might take a little while.

You want the opportunity to operate below 30 mhz without a cw test. Then
you shouldn't be allowed in the freq ranges allocated to cw until you are
endorsed for it. I certainly wouldn't desire less than a fully qualified
pilot in the cockpit or doctor in the operating room.

With your way of thinking, testing should allow full privileges and it
shouldn't have to be difficult so you can pass it without studying. That
is how I define the degradation of ham licensing.

You want to take the easy way out and I can't stop you, just don't expect
any pats on the back from those of us who had to work for what we got. At
least we can appreciate what we got. Here goes the neighborhood!