Old January 10th 07, 07:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Rich McAllister K6RFM Rich McAllister K6RFM is offline

Default Choke balun

Jeffrey Herman wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
When one feeds the antenna system at a current maximum
point, the balun is non-critical. I am presently using
ten turns of RG-400 on an FT-240-61 toroid with no

Hi Cecil,
It seems like it's been a decade since we debated on RRAP. I hope all is
well with you.

.... and here *I* am again. Anybody heard from Gary Coffman?

For a balun, I'm considering N4UJW's "Ugly Balun"
(see http://www.hamuniverse.com/balun.html).
UJW leaves the diameter of the coil form to the reader,

So, my question is about choke baluns too. I just put up a shiny new GAP
Eagle (yah, yah, I know short multiband verticals are snake oil, if I
had a big lot I might do something different.) They recommended a small
coax coil balun, but when I did that (as compared to just checking the
resonance at the little tail coming out of the antenna) the 20M
resonance went to pieces-- previously it had been 1:2 SWR (compared to
50 ohms) throughout the band, it went to 1:3 (but pretty flat)
everywhere. I ended up just using a ferrite-bead choke balun I had
around, and everything was fine. So, does anybody here have any idea
why the coax coil choke and the ferrite bead choke would have been so
different?

Rich, K6RFM