Old January 11th 07, 04:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
AaronJ AaronJ is offline

Default One way to promote learning of code ...

wrote:

AaronJ wrote:

IMO the perfect fist sounds like computer generated CW.

Well, there was some debate about this a few years back.

There's always been a debate about what is perfect code. Generally the argument
is over weighting, but sometimes spacing too. That's why I covered my assertion
with an IMO...

Test folks to claim that a method of TEACHING Morse Code should be used
as a Morse Code Exam, i.e., the Farnsworth Code.

I have no opinion on the best way to learn the code. I learned my code the old
fashioned way, one letter at a time back in 1957. And I passed my test decoding
and writing one letter at a time. But in practice I don't it one letter at a
time.

folks were all over the notion that code was
an individual thing and that each person's code sounded like "speech"

When you learn to head copy (no paper), eventually you will not decode the
individual letters but rather the words. The words have their distinct sounds.
And even if someone uses a word you don't know, the code sequence sounds like
phonics in your head and you still 'hear' the word. For this reason some say
that CW is a pseudo-language. That may be a poor word for it but you get the
idea. And if you talk to the same guy or group of guys regularly you will learn
to recognize their 'voices' on CW.

I was chided for suggesting that manually sent code should be formed
as precisely as one could make it,

IMO you should try to send like a computer...

Which took us full circle to the humans emulating modems

I like CW only because it's fun *to me*. The analogy might be that going
someplace by horse is not efficient, but it's sure fun...