Old January 11th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default QSLs (was 6-meters)

Caveat Lector wrote:

I suspect the low rate of return may be because there are many Technician
class operators on the band and as such do not have QSL cards like the HF
ops. But gee one can make their own with a computer and an ink jet printer
http://www.qsl.net/wa7s/
or get the economy QSL cards. Examples: one can buy generic cards for $4.95

My "log" is an Access database and I've got homemade QSLs
set up as a report; it prints either one on demand from the
QSO form, or prints all QSLs since the last print run,
depending. I print them onto Sparco 3.5x5.5 perforated
index cards; it's fast and easy, and now that the print job
is set up, I can print special cards for special events
(contests, etc.) if I want.

What I really wanted to add to this discussion, though, is
that I always appreciate QSLs, but I especially like the
homebrewed cards--anything from fancy full-color ones done
on an inkjet, to simple hand-drawn ones photocopied onto
cardstock. All QSLs are good, but the ones that are made
at home by the hams themselves are particularly fun--they
give you a better sense of the ham on the other end of the
QSO, often provide more information than the standardized
ones, and they're just more fun all around.

So new hams: do NOT let not having store-bought QSLs keep
you from QSLing! Heck, write it by hand on an index card--
the recipients WILL like them, honest!

Ken Kuzenski AC4RD ken . kuzenski at duke .edu
All disclaimers apply, see? www.duke.edu/~kuzen001