Old January 14th 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Somebody Somewhere Somebody Somewhere is offline

Default Line Of Sight Propagation For AM signals ?

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

I understand that fm signals in the 150 MHz and higher range propagate
pretty much as line of sight.

But, is this also true for AM signals in this frequency range ?

Thanks,
Bob

No, AM signals above 150 mhz go straight down into the gound and cause
earth tremors, unless you're on the ocean, in which case they just
slosh around. SSB signals propogate outward from the antenna in a
spiral pattern. Digitally-encrypted FM signals above 150 mhz propogate
in a checkerboard pattern.

Sorry, couldn't resist. As far as I know, radio signals at a given
frequency will have identical propogation characteristics regardless of
transmission mode.