Old January 15th 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Nelson Blaha Nelson Blaha is offline

Default do I have my antenna fundamentals right?

Thanks Jimmie, Markus, Richard for your advice. I'm working without
tools... what I really need is a drill. For the moment I've put my
mobile antenna out my window on a four-foot section of I-bar. It works
pretty well for receiving, but I won't know how well it transmits with
virtually no ground plane until I'm good and licensed. That coffee can
bit gave me a good idea for an RF ground plane, though.

I have to confess, I expected a much kinder reaction from
uk.amateur.radio, but some of them gave me some harsh words just
because I wasn't licensed! It's good to know I can get friendly help
somewhere.

Nelson Blaha

On Jan 14, 8:37 pm, "Nelson Blaha" wrote:
Having gotten some help around here on how to power my 2m mobile
indoors cheaply, I need to figure out a way to get an antenna. There
are probably a million holes in this plan, please point them
all out to me!

I intend to get a piece of square sheet metal (ground plane?) about
half a meter each way, and build a bracket to hold it outside my window
horizontally. In the center of the sheet metal I'll install an NMO
mount for my mobile antenna. I'm actually planning to ground the sheet
metal using the electrical ground in the wall socket (surely
something's wrong with THAT!) I look forward to better alternatives!