Old January 18th 07, 11:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
[email protected] hot-ham-and-cheese@hotmail.com is offline

Default One way to promote learning of code ...

wrote:
Dave Heil wrote:
wrote:
Dave Heil wrote:
thinks about his rank-title-status and decides he
is "better than anybody" who can't do as "good" as
himself.
Well, Len, the way you write here indicates that
you think you're better than everybody ;-)
I don't see how. Len has no amateur rank-title-status...

Actually he does:

His rank as an amateur is "Pre-Beginner"

His title is "Kibitzer"

His status is "Inactive"

So Len will achieve neophyte status once if ever he should obtain a license?

No.

If Len were to obtain a license, set up an amateur station and get it
on the air, he could change his "Inactive" status to "Slightly Active",
"Moderately Active" or "Very Active"

Welp, when we get to one amateur license for the ARS, we can measure
the ham by what he/she does, not by some false title "earned" by how
fast they can emulate a modem.

Yet the way he writes, he thinks he's better than everyone and
anyone in amateur radio.

That has long been evident. Amateur radio makes Leonard angry. The
ARRL makes Len angry. The idea that some radio ham knows more about a
topic than him, makes Leonard angry.

Yep, he sure botched the distance to the moon a way back.

And a lot more things. For example, having someone he considers
inferior correct some
of his mistakes makes Len angry.

I recall the time he worked out of band Frenchmen on Six Meters. What
a blunder that was.

Len has problems with authority,
seniority, titles, the Morse Code (and those who use it) and with mere
amateurs who do something for the love of it.

Also the inclusion of children in amateur radio, changes in real estate
zoning initiated by those he considers outsiders, civilians daring to
comment or even be knowledgeable about military history....the list
goes on and on.

Like the time he flauted the necessity of having an amateur license at
all and set up his own spark gap transmitter - then blamed it on the
Scouts!

Hi, hi, what an idiot!

That's what makes it all the more peculiar. Len likes to tell us that
he is a PROFESSIONAL writer and that he did BIG TIME radio over a half
century back. Did you know that Len belongs to the IEEE?

Really? ;-) I suppose some folks could have missed that, the first
couple of
hundred times he mentioned it.

I figured that there were people who might have missed that or the story
of Len's "BIG TIME" in HF radio. For a guy who doesn't need status, Len
certainly takes every opportunity to remind us of his status.

That's not status - that's title.

Whatever are you discussing??? Please stick to amateur radio topics,
please.

Most of all, Len thinks his experiences of long ago in non-amateur
radio
should cause everyone in amateur radio to respect, honor and agree with
him - regardless of how he behaves. Regardless of their own experience,
education, knowledge and skills, all amateurs should yield to and
support
Len's opinions over all others, never disagreeing with him or pointing
out
his errors of fact or logic.

That pretty well sums it up. Have you noticed that every time I bring
up Len's sphincter post, he goes silent for a period? He has never
acknowledged it as a bald-faced whopper.

You have to read that post carefully. I don't think Len ever mentions
that
*he* was on the receiving end of an artillery barrage. He just mentions

what allegedly happens to all sphincters in the area.

So, Jim, what's it like? You're the expert on all things military
(except for whatever Robesin happens to be saying at the moment).

He likewise clammed up when I
pointed out his denigration of a fellow military veteran (me),

Not just you. The sphincters post was aimed at a US Coast Guard radio
operator,
whose experience as a *military Morse Code radio operator* is both
infinitely more extensive and far more recent than Len's.

And mine. I've never been a Coastie nor a Math Lecturer at a
University.

There's also his denigration of your nonmilitary Government service.

Only the parts that were patently absurd.

yet he is
quick to wrap himself in bunting, mount the soapbox and rail against any
perceived slight to himself as a military veteran.

Any disagreement to his statements is considered an insult by Len.

When did the subject switch to Robesin?

Len is a riddle,
wrapped in an enigma and dipped in red, white and blue.

No, not a riddle or an enigma.

I have him pegged as an angry old guy who happened to choose amateur
radio as his target.

Actually, rereading all of this makes me feel kinda sad for Len. Here's
a guy
who insists on telling us how wonderful his life is and has been (after
all,
he bought that R-70 receiver new for CASH) but seems very angry much
of the time.

He does?

He says he's interested in "all of radio-electronics" as a "hobby",
and has spammed ECFS with hundreds of pages of verbiage, but has never
become a ham. (He says he comments for altruistic reasons.) Despite his
efforts, FCC will
soon eliminate the Morse Code test - yet Len's anger continues and even
grows.

Tomorrow it will be seven years since the classic "out of the box"
post.

Me thinks he doth protest too much.

73 de Jim, N2EY

You thinks? That should be a whole nother thread...