Old January 18th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
[email protected] N2EY@AOL.COM is offline

Default One way to promote learning of code ...

wrote:
From:
on Thurs, Jan 18 2007 3:12 am

Dave Heil wrote:
wrote:
Dave Heil wrote:

So Len will achieve neophyte status once if ever he should obtain a license?

No.

That is correct. I am not a "neophyte" in radio.
I've been a professional in radio-electronics for
55 years, had a Commercial radio operator license
since 1956, a PLMRS radio station, membership (now
Life status) in a professional association, and
have been both contributor and associate editor for
an amateur radio periodical.

And you've run that brag tape here many, many, many times.

If Len were to obtain a license, set up an amateur station and get it
on the air, he could change his "Inactive" status to "Slightly Active",
"Moderately Active" or "Very Active"

is WRONG.

How? Look at the various choices for "status" - they describe the level
of activity in amateur radio. You are currently Inactive.

All that a US amateur radio
license grant to me would convey only the
AUTHORIZATION to emit RF within allocated
amateur radio bands.

Actually if would grant more than that.

AUTHORIZATION from the
federal government, not "qualification" nor
any "inactive" or "active" labels. One either
has authorization or no authorization.

You have neither authorization nor qualification as a radio amateur,
Len.
So your status in amateur radio is "Inactive".

Yet the way he writes, he thinks he's better than everyone and
anyone in amateur radio.

That has long been evident.

Tsk...only to prissy little pedants like

trying to market their "expertise in
amateurism" as some kind of royal title. :-)

It's evident in most of your postings here, Len.

Amateur radio makes Leonard angry.

is WRONG.

You're quoting K8MN, Len.

But, to his mind, morse code and
amteurism are all one and the same (another mistaken
notion) and it makes HIM "angry" that his desires
aren't obeyed. shrug

"amteurism"? Did you mean "aneurysm", Len?

The fact is that you're the one who is angry, not me.
You fly off the handle for all sorts of reasons. I don't.

The ARRL makes Len angry.

is WRONG.

You're quoting K8MN, Len.

The ARRL is very good at what
it does.

And that makes you very angry, Len.

It has succeeded in making many, many
amateurs think that a small group in New England
Knows What Is Best For Amateur Radio.

Actually, that's not true at all.

The policies of the ARRL are decided by the Board of Directors,
who are from all over the USA, not just New England.

They play
to the wish-fulfillment of radio hobbyists who
want to more than just hobbyists.

??

"who want to more than just hobbyists."

What the heck does that mean?

They have
succeeded in becoming a virtual monopoly of
published material for the specialty niche of
US amateur radio.

Really?

I guess the folks at CQ, Worldradio, Electric Radio, AWA and bunch of
other publishers don't count with you, Len.

I admire them for their
sheer chutzpah and ability to stay in BUSINESS
as a multi-million-dollar-a-year (reported
income) publishers.

Sounds like you're jealous, Len.

Ever been to Newington? I have. Got a tour and operated W1AW.
In fact I brought my favorite radiotelegraph key with me and used
it there.

Great place, great folks.

If you get a license, and went there, they'd let you operate W1AW, too.

I do NOT LIKE their approach of idolizing either
archaic technology or the (self-defined by them)
"leaders" of US amateur radio.

What "idolizing of archaic technology", Len? Have you
actually read any of their current publications?

The ARRL is losing
its "touch" and membership is slowly falling, not
close to keeping up with the change in US
population.

Really? How about in comparison with the US amateur population?

The ARRL gives the impression that
is shuns the Technician class licensee which now
makes up half of ALL US amateur radio licensees.

I guess you haven't read any current ARRL publications, then, because
that's simply not the case.

The idea that some radio ham knows more about a
topic than him, makes Leonard angry.

And a lot more things. For example, having someone he considers
inferior correct some of his mistakes makes Len angry.

are both WRONG.

Your behavior here tells a very different story, Len.

Your behavior here shows how easily you are angered by
those you consider to be your inferiors - which is almost
everyone.

By their common
implication THEY are "better" than others...which
just compounds their wrongness.

What implication, Len?

Len has problems with authority,
seniority, titles, the Morse Code (and those who use it) and with mere
amateurs who do something for the love of it.

Also the inclusion of children in amateur radio, changes in real estate
zoning initiated by those he considers outsiders, civilians daring to
comment or even be knowledgeable about military history....the list
goes on and on.

Yes, as a matter of fact. :-)

Now you're beginning to see the truth about yourself, Len.

You got a problem with that?

Your anger is your problem, Len. Your display of it here just makes
you look immature.

That's what makes it all the more peculiar. Len likes to tell us that
he is a PROFESSIONAL writer and that he did BIG TIME radio over a half
century back. Did you know that Len belongs to the IEEE?

Really? ;-) I suppose some folks could have missed that, the first
couple of hundred times he mentioned it.

I figured that there were people who might have missed that or the story
of Len's "BIG TIME" in HF radio. For a guy who doesn't need status, Len
certainly takes every opportunity to remind us of his status.

That's not status - that's title.

are both WRONG again. It was my LIFE
EXPERIENCE is all.

Which you repeat here so many times that it has become a title.

I voluntarily joined the United
States ARMY in 1952 and lucked-out on my service
assignment by being sent to the third largest Army
network communications station in 1953.

And you were part of a team of how many *hundred* others?
(Those others are rarely if ever mentioned in your descriptions
here).

volunteered for the USAF, quite possibly (like so
many) trying to avoid the Draft and "served in a country
at war."

Were all volunteers trying to avoid the draft, Len?

Or could it be that someone who volunteers for the US Air Force,
Coast Guard, Navy or Marines wanted to serve our country, or
learn a skill, or get some "life experience"?

says NOTHING in detail of his duties or
involvement in radio in the USAF...probably because,
truth be told (by other than himself), he was a REMF.

Len, one thing I have noticed about military veterans is that
many of them *don't* mention their military experiences at
every possible opportunity. I'm no expert, but I have found
that many of those who were in actual combat don't talk about
it easily or lightly.

There is no obligation for any military veteran to tell you of
their military experiences, Len. Particularly considering how
you react to them.

You have to read that post carefully. I don't think Len ever mentions
that *he* was on the receiving end of an artillery barrage. He just mentions
what allegedly happens to all sphincters in the area.

That was as I was told by other soldiers who WERE in
actual combat. Those whose words I could believe were
true.

Ah....so you *weren't* actually there!

But...the "critics" who dwell and dwell on
their "sphincter knowledge" imply that they "KNOW"
what the real truth is...WITHOUT having their own
experience as a baseline.
In other words, both
are truly bull****ting everyone
with their "knowledge of battle." :-)

I've never claimed any such knowledge, Len.

CITE YOUR MILITARY EXPERIENCE to say
I was "wrong." You just don't have any such, do you?

I'm not the one describing what it's like to be on the receiving
end of an artillery barrage, Len. You are.

In fact, you made that classic "sphincters post" in a response
to a United States Coast Guard radio operator who related his
actual experiences at a USCG radio station. As if your
non-experience trumped his actual experience.

Strange behavior on your part, Len.

There's also his denigration of your nonmilitary Government service.

One is "supposed" to "always respect" the United
States Department of State?!? guffaw Not
for me since George C. Marshall retired. Maybe
with Colin Powell but he saw what the bush league
was doing and quit.

One is "supposed" to "always respect" a posting to
a small African country consulate post, a country
whose main export is cashew nuts?

One is "supposed" to "always respect" a State
radio officer for "using CW to synchronize his
RTTY skeds" in the 1980s? :-)

You don't show any respect, Len.

ANY military veteran "earned
their chops" to talk to ANOTHER veteran.

That's not the point, Len. Not the point at all.

You want to make
nasty to someone by ruler-spanking their "behavior
to another vet," you better EARN THE RIGHT to do
that.

Says who, Len? It's called "freedom of speech" and "telling the truth".

Is that not allowed?

Any disagreement to his statements is considered an insult by Len.

Tsk.

are both WRONG again.

But, both are of a mindset that THEY are somehow
"superior" in all respects and that their amateur
radio license (amateur extra, gained when 20 WPM
testing was in effect) gives them "authorization"
for behaving like "superior" beings. :-)

Actually, rereading all of this makes me feel kinda sad for Len.

Poor baby. Got tissues?

Here's a guy who insists on telling us how wonderful his life is and has been (after
all, he bought that R-70 receiver new for CASH) but seems very angry much
of the time.

is once again WRONG. [is there no end to
his mistakes?]

What mistakes?

All in all, I've been fortunate in life.

Aw geez, here we go *again*

Not
overly so but enough for me. I've made some money
doing what I like, but no longer need to work to
keep a nice lifestyle. My wife is my high school
sweetheart (really, a fact known to our classmates
after our 50th high school reunion in 2001). I
began in radio communications at a large Army
radio station and that experience led me to change
majors to electronic engineering. No mortgage on
our house down south, none on the northern house.

So, I could pay cash for an Icom radio two decades
ago? No problem. I earned every penny of that cash.
Wife and I bought a 2005 Chevy Malibu MAXX cash
(actually on a credit card!).

You sure don't seem very happy, though, Len.

You seem angry and defensive.

I don't consider
that as any kind of "superiority."

You sure seem to - you mention it over and over and over....

We both worked
for our money, earning all of it. The purchase via
credit card was a lark, something we could do...so
we did it! You really ought to make some insult
hay out of that...wow, must be some moral deficit
to you to actually spend money for anything! :-)

It's irrelevant, Len.

If I earn and spend more money per year than you do, Len,
does that make me a better person than you?

Does it make my opinions on amateur radio policy more valid?

He says he's interested in "all of radio-electronics" as a "hobby",
and has spammed ECFS with hundreds of pages of verbiage, but has never
become a ham.

Hello? Did you miss my "hundreds of postings" about
my First 'Phone Commercial license obtained in 1956?

Who could miss them, Len?

That was 50 years ago,

AFTER I'd been
three years active military service at Army station
ADA. Of WHAT PURPOSE would there be in "getting a
ham license before becoming professional?" Besides
the fun of having that hobby?

Tsk, I guess having an amateur radio license is NOT
fun...it is something all have to work for...harder
than anything they've done in life? It's a "service
to the country" that ham hobby?

Oh, If I'd become a butcher, I would certainly have
gotten a ham license...which includes a beef license
and a fish license and all other good stuff
regulated by the FDA and LA Health Department. :-)

(He says he comments for altruistic reasons.) Despite his
efforts, FCC will
soon eliminate the Morse Code test - yet Len's anger continues and even
grows.

Ho ho!

is once again WRONG! [no end
for his mistakes in sight...] Not only WRONG but
FULL OF ****. [take some Ex-Lax, ]

Your anger continues and grows, Len.

You sure don't act like someone who is happy and content.

"Despite my efforts" the FCC announced FCC 06-178?!?

Yep.

Wow, poor

got all tangled up in his thinking.

Hundreds and hundreds of US commented to the FCC
about ENDING the code test for an amateur radio
license. Really. It must have convinced the FCC.

Hundreds more commented against it.

It sure as hell didn't convince the pro-coders. :-)

See? You can't handle disagreement with your opinions.
Makes you angry.

Pro-coders can continue on their mistaken belief
that they do a national service by having amateur
radio as a hobby...or being "all" involved in
emergency communications...and being some kind of
forefront of "homeland security" by being able to
pound brass. They are keeping the "tradition" of
archaic radiotelegraphy as a living museum of old
radio. I am sooooo impressed......[not]

"Anger?!" I don't think so [he said grinning from
ear to ear]. Accuse me of GLOATING, not "anger."

You're angry - it's very clear. The immaturity of your behavior
gets more apparent with the years.

All those years of hearing the pseudo-experts of
radio with their amateur license extoll the glory
and majesty of morsemanship and how "all must WORK
(at morsemanship) to show their 'dedication' to
ham radio!" Wow! All that going down the tubes!

How?

it's time you invited your "friends and
neighbors" over so they can "admire your work."
You obviously need some TLC after that hangover.
[from drinking all that whine of sour grapes]

Damn, but this GLOATING feels GOOD! :-)

You have an odd way of showing it.

Seven years tomorrow, Len.