Old January 19th 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] r2000swler@hotmail.com is offline

Default diversity reception notes

Telamon wrote:

For diversity reception you "switch" to the best signal instead of
mixing them together.

The best approach is two antennas with plus 1 wavelength between them
into two separate receivers and switch the audio between them based on a
decision circuit looking at both radios AGC voltage.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

http://www.radioblvd.com/DiversityDD1.html

I find the: "At first the engineers speculated that radio waves were
being refracted
in the ionosphere at different angles and therefore some waves would be
intercepted
by an antenna while other wave-angles would miss the antenna. A large
multiple
antenna should capture more wave angles and reduce fading. Actually,
they found
the opposite happened. Fading became worse with larger antenna arrays.
"
to agree with my experience in the much shorter active dipoles (~3' per
leg) worked
much better then the 50' wire antennas.

Terry