Old January 20th 07, 12:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Mike Coslo Mike Coslo is offline

Default Feb 23 is the No-code date

wrote in news:1169250071.314393.175910
@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

KC4UAI wrote:
Time to end the debate I suppose...

Looks like the FCC will make it official on February 23 of this year
and go along with the rest of the world. Code testing will no longer
be required for ANY class license it seems after that date.

Does that mean the Report and Order will be published in the Federal
Register before January 24?

We all knew it was coming, but it's sort of sad to see it go.

Yes, it's sad to see the standards being lowered again and again. Not
just the code test, either.

Hi Jim,

Are you saying that the standards for, say the late 1950's were
higher than thay are now?

Did you read my posts with the excerpts from the 1956 Ameco study
guide and sample F.C.C. tests? Perhaps my assessment of the tests as
indeed not being more difficult is inaccurate in your opinion?

In addition, imagine my surprise when I opened up that little
booklet and saw the "sample questions" Right there, Question first, and
answer "A" through "D". Then an answer section in the back of the book!
All this in 1956, long before Bash and the present day question pool...

After all, how may ways are there to ask the same questions?

I too am a sad to see Morse code testing go away, espcially from a
historical view, but I fear that some of the superior attitudes, and
sometimes outright misrepresentation put forward by some hams regarding
how much better a vetting process the old old system was is going to be
a greater threat to the ARS than any code test elimination ever was.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -