Old January 20th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
[email protected] N2EY@AOL.COM is offline

Default Feb 23 is the No-code date

Mike Coslo wrote:
wrote in news:1169250071.314393.175910
@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

KC4UAI wrote:
Time to end the debate I suppose...

Looks like the FCC will make it official on February 23 of this year
and go along with the rest of the world. Code testing will no longer
be required for ANY class license it seems after that date.

Does that mean the Report and Order will be published in the Federal
Register before January 24?

We all knew it was coming, but it's sort of sad to see it go.

Yes, it's sad to see the standards being lowered again and again. Not
just the code test, either.

Hi Jim,

Are you saying that the standards for, say the late 1950's were
higher than thay are now?

I think they were higher then, yes.

Did you read my posts with the excerpts from the 1956 Ameco study
guide and sample F.C.C. tests? Perhaps my assessment of the tests as
indeed not being more difficult is inaccurate in your opinion?

It's not about "difficulty" but about how much relevant info a person
had to know and
understand to pass the tests.

The Ameco guide you refer to - what license class was it for?

I have the old ARRL License Manuals from 1948, 1951, 1953, 1962, and
1971. They contained the study guides provided by FCC, but *not* the
actual Q&A used on the tests.

Having read all of them cover-to-cover, I can say I think the standards
were higher then.

In addition, imagine my surprise when I opened up that little
booklet and saw the "sample questions" Right there, Question first, and
answer "A" through "D". Then an answer section in the back of the book!
All this in 1956, long before Bash and the present day question pool...

Those sample questions were *not* the actual questions used on the
test. They were simply made up by Ameco.

After all, how may ways are there to ask the same questions?

Lots of ways:

For example, which of the following requires more knowledge:

Question 1:

The length of a half-wave wire dipole for 7.150 MHz is about:

a) 100 feet long
b) 50 feet long
c) 67 feet long
d) 40 feet long

Question 2:

Determine the length of a half-wave wire dipole for 7.150 MHz, using
the appropriate formula. Show all work.

That's just one question.

--

Here's another example: In the old exam methods, there would be a few
sample questions on Ohm's Law for DC, as an example. These would *not*

But with the actual Q&A available, all one needs to do is to be able to
solve the particular problems in those questions - or recognize the
correct answer out of the four supplied.

In looking at the old study guides vs. the new, it seems to me that the
old exams focused on a relatively few number of subjects, but covered
those subjects in some depth. The new
tests seem to me to cover a wide range of subjects, but in very little
depth.

Want to see a summary of the old study guides, and some sample
questions? I'll post them if you are interested.

I too am a sad to see Morse code testing go away, espcially from a
historical view, but I fear that some of the superior attitudes, and
sometimes outright misrepresentation put forward by some hams regarding
how much better a vetting process the old old system was is going to be
a greater threat to the ARS than any code test elimination ever was.

I think the old process was a better process in some ways and a worse
process in other ways.

I think that in the past couple of decades the focus has been too much
on learning just enough to pass the test, and reducing how much has to
really be learned to pass those tests, rather than understanding basic
radio. I don't think it helps a newcomer to have a license yet not know
the basics, like how to put up an effective HF antenna in a limited
space.

When I was a beginner, it was not unusual for complete newcomers to
build their own first stations - receiver and transmitter - from
scratch. Kitbuilding was even more common. Look at the beginner
projects of 40-50 years ago vs. today - they tell the story.

I think the best system we ever had was the one in the late 1970s. In
those days, FCC gave all the tests except Novice. Tests were given in
FCC offices all over the country. In addition, if a group could
guarantee a certain minimum number of test-takers, FCC would send a
traveling-road-show examiner to a club meeting, hamfest, or other
gathering.

The result was that there was testing available all over the place, but
the Q&A weren't
available publicly.

And consider this: There are classes today that promise "Technician in
a day" - and they succeed. Is that a good thing, though? Do the new
hams who get their licenses that way really have the background needed?

73 de Jim, N2EY