Old January 20th 07, 01:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
K4YZ K4YZ is offline

Default Morkie Get's It Wrong...AGAIN!

nobodys old friend wrote:
wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote:
wrote in news:1169250071.314393.175910
@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I think the best system we ever had was the one in the late 1970s. In
those days, FCC gave all the tests except Novice. Tests were given in
FCC offices all over the country. In addition, if a group could
guarantee a certain minimum number of test-takers, FCC would send a
traveling-road-show examiner to a club meeting, hamfest, or other
gathering.

it has it merits but ain't happening anymopre

Who says?

You?

The result was that there was testing available all over the place, but
the Q&A weren't
available publicly.

And consider this: There are classes today that promise "Technician in
a day" - and they succeed.

indeed they should if they are to advertise such

But they are NOT "technicians" any more than you are competent in
English, Morkie.

Is that a good thing, though?

why not?

Becuase it's "dumbing down".

Please notice that no such exam process exists in any of the
countries that are quickly overshadowing us in REAL technology
advances...Like Red China, Japan, Singapore, etc etc etc...

Do the new
hams who get their licenses that way really have the background needed?

obviously they do

Obviously they can answer the questions. That doesn't make them
competent in the material.

Witness KB9RQZ as an example.

Steve, K4YZ