Old January 21st 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Mike Coslo Mike Coslo is offline

Default Those Old Study Guides

wrote in news:1169319231.725804.81990
@l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Mike Coslo wrote:
wrote in
ups.com:

Want to see a summary of the old study guides, and some sample
questions? I'll post them if you are interested.

Always am.

Here's a sample - lots more to come.

From the 1976 ARRL License Manual:

Study Question #31:

Draw a schematic diagram of a circuit having the following components:

(a) battery with internal resistance,
(b) resistive load,
(c) voltmeter,
(d) ammeter

.
Study Question #32:

From the values indicated by the meters in the above circuit, how can

the value of the resistive load be determined? How can the power
consumed by the load be determined?

Study Question #33:
In the above circuit, what must the value of the resistive load be in
order for the maximum power to be delivered from the battery?

I'm assuming that if the applicant recieves question number 32 or
33 that they also recieved number 31?

Study Question #34:
Draw the schematic diagram of an RF power amplifier circuit having the
following components:

(a) triode vacuum tube,
(b) pi-network output tank
(c) high voltage source
(d) plate-current meter
(e) plate-voltage meter,
(f) rf chokes,
(g) bypass capacitors, coupling capacitor.

Yup, that was in the study guide that I looked at.

Study Question #35:
What is the proper tune-up procedure for the above circuit?

did they get both questions again?

These are just a sample. They're not the exact questions that
were on the old exams.

The actual exam was multiple choice, and would show a schematic of the
amplifier circuit - close, but not exactly like the one shown inthe
license manual - and had 5 of the components labelled "a" thru "e".

The question would be something like,
"which is the coupling capacitor?"
"which is an rf choke?"
"what is the function of the capacitor labelled ''d' in the circuit
above?"

So you would have to learn the circuit, the components in it, and

their
names
and functions. Then the actual exam would use a completely different
format
from the study guide.

Is that supposed to be difficult? If you had a basic knowledge of
the circuit, you would be able to guess at the part names - if you
didn't already know..

The above questions and accompanying diagrams took up just a small

part of one page in the study guide. But look how much material was
covered!

How they compare to the current exams is a matter of opinion. IMHO
the old exams covered fewer subjects but covered them in much more
detail.

Which of course means that the applicant knew what to concentrate
on. sometimes I think that what a lot of Hams want is for the test
questions to be both very much in depth, and completely random, with the
questions produced on-site by the steely eyed proctor. ;^)

Agreed on your point about the increased number of potential
subjects to cover in the present day tests. I suspect the only way to
reconcile that with your (testing wishes?) would be to concurrently test
to the old time depth, with the increased subject matter? I doubt that
quadrupleing the number of test questions would sit very well with
anyone except those who don't have to take the tests any more.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -