Old January 23rd 07, 05:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
robert casey robert casey is offline

Default Feb 23 is the No-code date

Maybe we could have combination questions, ones that require several
pieces of knowledge to get right.

The maximum SSB peak envelope power you are permitted to have on your
linear amplifier on 14.060MHz is:

a) 1KW
b) 2KW
c) 0KW
d) 250w

answer is c, because that frequency is outside the phone subband.

Back in 1976 when I took the general written, they had a question like

You have a linear amp transmitting single sideband phone. The plate
voltage is 1KV. What is the max peak plate current you can have on the
output tubes?

At the time, the rules defined the max RF power you were allowed to
transmit as the product of the voltage and amperage supplied to the
output tubes. And single side band phone had a special rule on max
power, called "peak envelope power" of 2KW. As measured by a typical
analog ammeter with a bouncing needle. Which had a certain amount of
error that was consistent with the usual ammeters hams had back then
that had to be factored in (I've forgotten what it was, something like
0.7 or just 0.5?). So that's three things you had to know to answer
this one question. So the answer would be 1 amp or maybe 1.4 amps of
current from the 1KV power supply.