Old January 23rd 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Smith I John Smith I is offline

Default Antennas led astray

art wrote:

of a three dimensional vector. The two dimensional term

Art:

I take the thrust of your previous text to say, "We have lost focus of
the antenna as a technical device. Some now think of it as a "magical
device" and some as a "work of art." I can see some truth in all of
that. Plus, I will go further, if anyone thinks we have discovered ALL
there is to know about antennas, they are simply wrong ...

Basically, I only have use for three types of antennas. Two of these
are for terrestrial use only and one is for non-earth use ("talking" to
satellites, NOT aliens.)

Of the two for terrestrial use, one is omni directional the other VERY
directional. Now omni is quite easy, most dipoles or monopoles can be
placed to work with varying success.

So that leaves the "beam" or directional antenna. Now, the best
directional antenna I have EVER found is the parabolic dish--there just
ain't any better! However, for HF (indeed vhf/uhf are VERY difficult to
construct) these are out of the question for most of us. So, the
question becomes, "How can we mimic the performance of the dish with
practical materials.

Now, that is what we are all looking for, isn't it?

Warmest regards,
JS