Old January 23rd 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default IC-M710 long distance communication, how long ?

"Newbie" wrote in message
oups.com...

Caveat Lector wrote:
From the ICOM website -- the IC-M710
a.. Covers all allowed bands between 1.6 and 27.5 MHz
a.. But propagation varies on each band depending on night or day, time
of
year, time in the sunspot cycle, solar storms, ground wave propagation,
etc.

Suggest you read about propagation.
See URL:
http://www.ae4rv.com/tn/propflash.htm

Hope that helps.

CL

Thank you Caveat.

When VOA or BBC plan to build a radio station, they must be able to
calculate the coverage of their station in 'normal' conditions.

When we talk about cars, you may say a Mercedes C200 speed depends on
road conditions, tires pressure, gas, temperature, etc... but surely
people can say it can do 100km/hr.

Don't we have something similar when talking about radios ?

There are modles that will give general predictions of how far the signals
will travel. They will give predictions such as the coverage like 50 % of
the time, 80 % of the time and so on. Outside of very local conditions such
as out to 5 or 10 miles anything can hapen. Sort of like a river near here.
Most of the time it is around 200 feet wide. I have seen it almost dry a
couple of years ago. Think I could have jumped over it if it was not for
the mud.

It all depends on the frequency , the ionospheric conditions and black
magic.
It is more like the gas milage of a car, It depends on how it is driven and
the state of the tuning. You can get a general idea, but not an exect
value.