Old January 24th 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
KH6HZ KH6HZ is offline

Default Feb 23 is the No-code date

wrote:

Plus the fact that Morse Code is widely used in amateur radio.

Yes, but that IMO doesn't justify it as a skill test with a pass/fail
result.

In fact, with the largest license class being the Tech, it would be more
logical to suggest an operating mode commonly in use by the vast majority of
techs -- FM voice.

Why not?

Several reasons. First, CW is but one of many modes in use in the ARS today.
I do not feel it is appropriate to weight the CW test heavily in testing,
such that it becomes a pass/fail element. Simply put, some people may have
no interest in operating CW.

Offhand, I do not recall the percentage of hams actively using CW. I vaguely
recall there was a study in the mid 90's. A quick google only yielded one
recent survey, and that was hardly scientific. W5ALT presented some
interesting numbers, but likewise those are questionable and only represent
activity observed, not necessarily the preferred operating mode of
(non-actively-transmitting) hams.

Falling back to 97.1, while CW facilitates an amateur to meet all those
goals, so does every other operating mode.

Seems to me that the rational compromise would be to offer a variety of
skills tests.

Perhaps. Unfortunately, a skills test requires a greater effort on the part
of VEs to implement, test, and grade. It is highly unlikely we would ever
see *ANY* suggestion that makes testing "harder" ever implemented by the
FCC. Fact is, it is politically incorrect to "fail" people. We will never
see the return of a skills test to the ARS. That's the sad reality of the
situation.

For example, imagine a simple test of voice operating skill where a
person being tested has to send a message in standard form and receive
one, using standard phonetics and good amateur operating practice.

I'd almost like to see a form of Elmering system, where as a new ham your
first few contacts are handled under the watchful eye of an older, more
experienced ham, who can show you the "ropes". Naturally, we can do this
today without any rules changes on the part of the FCC.

I would say 25 years.

I believe you've been licensed longer than I. My introduction to amateur
radio really didn't occur until 1982. I wouldn't argue your point. In the
past with the "private" question pools and examination guides, certainly
testing became "easier" when the pools went public (before my time). My own
observations since becoming licensed in the early 90's is the testing
infrastructure has been continuously weakened.

I think one of the reasons for the recent lack of growth was
the popularization of amateur radio as a personal radio
service in the 1980s and 1990s. [...] Some of those who did
get licensed for personal radio reasons have let their licenses
lapse because the cell phone does the job now.

Unfortunately true. The problem the ARS will face now is people will point
at the dropping number of hams as a reason why we have to "fix" the
licensing/testing system by dumbing it down even further.

The new (post-2001) Carl is a much nicer guy. Very reasonable and well
behaved, whether you agree with him or not. Look up some of his
more-recent posts and see.

Maybe he's mellowed with age. I have.

What will he do after Feb 23?

He'll find something to complain about. That's all he really wants to do...
bitch moan and complain. A sad cry for attention in his sunset years. We can
only hope cable internet at the retirement home drops out for a period of
time

73
KH6HZ