Old January 24th 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Mike Coslo Mike Coslo is offline

Default Feb 23 is the No-code date

"Bob Brock" wrote in
:

On the other hand, we could identify what the critical tasks a ham
operator needs to operate, tell the prospective ham what those tasks
are, give the prospective ham the answers to those tasks (such as a
question and answer pool) and then test on those identified
objectives. After the new ham gets his license to get on the air, we
could provide him with a learning environment to enhance those basic
skills and become a more experienced and adept operator.

Me, I go for plan "B."

Hear, hear!

Q and A pools are here to stay, Amateur radio is no exception. The
moaning and wailing, gnashing of teeth and hand wringing about the good
old days -that my research convinces me *weren't* anyhow - is more
likely just nostalgia for a time that didn't really exist.

I can understand that a little bit. Since I got my license, I've
started a love affair with hollow state. I love the heat, the look and
feel, even the smell of that vintage equipment.

But there is too much evidence that those good old days weren't all
that good after all.

I wonder who is going to provide a better learning environment,
people such as myelf - a presumably substandard product of the dumbed
down newfangled system, who only passed a 5wpm code test, and the
"easy" new tests, or one of the old geniuses who comes into the room
with the attitude that the new ham is as likely an idiot as not?

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -