Old January 24th 07, 06:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Smith I John Smith I is offline

Default Local station bad harmonics on 80 meters

Michael Black wrote:

You do realize that it may not be the transmitter?

If your receiver (and you don't specify what it is) hasn't got
good strong signal-handling, the station may be overloading it
and causing the junk. And at first glance, it wouldn't be
obvious whether it's the receiver or the transmitter.

Excellent suggestion. Try a high pass filter passing everything above
1710 to see if you have an improvement.

At least then you will have a good indication if it is a problem of
receiver overloading or not ...

If you are using a transceiver as opposed to a separate receiver/xmitter
(I know, I am an OT) you can use an rf switch to cut out the filter on
xmit to "cure" the problem.

Regards,
JS