Old January 25th 07, 03:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sal M. Onella Sal M. Onella is offline

Default Acceptable Lightning Ground?

"John Ferrell" wrote in message

snip

There was a time when the expression "water pipe ground" was common.

Extra ground rods actually contribute to the risk unless the are tied
together with at least #6 wire. (NEC) Allowing the grounds to be
commoned through the power distribution will put appliances in the
loop with expensive results.

John Ferrell W8CCW

I had an upgrade (by professional electrician) about five years ago on my 35
y/o house. He upgraded the service level from 100A to 200A, added some
outlets in the house and garage, etc ... stuff I've wanted since I moved in.
The house was built with cold-water-pipe ground and it appears to be at
least #8, maybe #6. The electrician said it could stay BUT he said code
required an additional ground stake driven into the soil near the service
entrance.

This is San Diego County CA. "Your mileage may vary."

One more thing, subject line "Yes, It's Really This Bad:" When I was a
teenager, two families in the neighborhood went all-out at Christmas with
the big outside lights. One guy said he kept blowing fuses (15A was the
standard for all the branches in all the houses), so he "solved" the problem
by substituting 25A fuses. Even as a snot-nosed kid I knew better.