Old October 27th 03, 03:47 AM
Mark Keith

Richard wrote in message link.net...
I have access to a 65' water well that I could install a radial in. This
is sulfur water and the conductivity is quiet high (per the lab
analysis). I was wondering if this would make a good ground system for a
vertical on 160/75/40. I am sitting on 6' of sandy loam which is sitting
on solid limestone bedrock. I've heard of people wanting to use the well
casing or tubing, but I would like to install a copper wire. Any
comments, suggestions or debate welcome

73's

Richard

I don't think it would work all that well. But I've never tried it.
Would be about the same as running a ground wire straight down into
the ground. Which is not very good. You still would have no radials on
the surface of that lossy ground. And thats where the radials really
count. A radial going straight down into the ground will be fairly
useless for rf purposes to my way of thinking. But maybe others will
throw in their opinions...You could use it as a center grounding
point, but I would still lay out radials on the surface of the ground.
It sounds like you are on fairly lossy earth. MK