Old January 25th 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
[email protected] LenAnderson@ieee.org is offline

Default Feb 23 is the No-code date

From: on Thurs, Jan 25 2007 2:06 pm

On 25 Jan 2007 10:58:25 -0800, " wrote:
On Jan 25, 8:41 am, John Smith I wrote:
wrote: ...

[now watch all the Amatur Standartenfuhrers hitch up their
armbands, march in with their jackboots, and try to pull off
a Krystallnacht on those not loving the olde tymes... :-) ]

in all seriousness I am concerned about that but in 29 days we will
see

the forces for good could use your help Len on air and you might have
fun doing it

Mark, there are NO "forces for good" nor of "evil" at work
here. This newsgroup is just discussion by individuals.

There have been, as John Smith I explained, LITTLE men
trying to be bigger than they are, attempting to "rule"
over others by overt denigration of their opponents.

Amateur radio is a hobby activity, has always been so, and
will probably always be that way. By the physics of radio
with its propagation of electromagnetic waves never obeying
that of any human laws or proclamations, the emitters of
those waves must be regulated. Part of that regulation is
the licensing process. A license is merely an authorization
by a federal government to follow the regulations set forth
by said federal government.

An amateur radio license was NEVER a certificate of academic
excellence, did not bestow its grant holder with "special
powers" or "majesty" or anything superhuman. However, that
implication has been long held by many in some kind of odd
fantasy within the minds of the fantasy lovers. Most of
those have been desperately looking for something, anything
to "prove" (inconclusively) that they were "better" than
others. However much they expostulate that, it really isn't
so, not even when they possess all sorts of certificates
suitable for framing. But...the largest amateur radio
membership organization has constantly been promoting
class distinction, competitiveness, playing on the "I am
better than you" spirit of so many. Such reinforces the
fantasy beliefs among the core membership who look to the
self-defined "leaders" for guidance. The down-side of that
is that the same organization has not accepted the half of
all amateur licensees, perhaps more than half, that did
not recognize the organizations' definition of itself.

Is there "fun" for all to re-create what was "fun" for long-
ago self-defined masters of the airwaves? No. Is it "fun"
for me to "try" communicating by radio? Hardly. I began
such communicating 54 years ago (exactly so in the first
week of February), first in the military, then much, much
more as a civilian, over many parts of the EM spectrum than
are allocated to amateurs, using modes that aren't allocated
to amateurs. I say that as a matter of fact, not to prove
I am "better" than any amateur. I simply did it. Mostly
for getting the money for food and shelter, but sometimes
just for my own amusement at the way different radio forms
and protocols work. I find the technology of radio and
electronics fascinating, so much so that I long ago changed
my life goals and career. I became a professional FIRST,
THEN thought about becoming an amateur. I've changed my
mind about the latter many times. Has that been a
denigratable moral-ethical offense? :-) To some of the
little men in here, most assuredly! They have branded me
morally deficient (to use more delicate descriptions of
what they've really said). :-) I "had" to do it exactly
as they "instructed" me to do it. Oddly enough, that was
very close to what these "instructors" had done.
Sunnuvagun! :-)

Those little men and their "charges" can be just shined off.
They are not the ultimate judge, have no authority except
what their internal fantasies proclaimed to themselves
inside their heads. It is very difficult to "respect" such
individuals (despite their mighty certificates), half-truths
of "accomplishments" and general inability to get along with
anyone but their own "elite" kind.

Now, in truth, there are thousands of radio amateurs having
their own fun on the amateur radio bands, far far more than
the bigots and control-freaks in here demanding instant
respect and admiration for their (ho-hum) mighty works. I
already know dozens who are licensed radio amateurs, good
people in person despite being in opposition to some of my
personal viewpoints about the hobby. We all have viewpoints
on many things, yet that isn't a barrier to maintaining
real, person-to-person friendships. The little men in here
don't understand that or they do not bother with it in their
quest to denigrate and defame those not of their ilk.

Matters not now. My quest in here has only been to eliminate
the code test for a US radio license. That was accomplished.
What I personally do for myself now is unimportant and should
not be a subject of further talk. The little men, the
denigrators, the control-freaks will find new targets for
their wrath and personal frustration venting. Matters not to
me. They are what they've made themselves to be...smaller
than before.

Regards,
LA