Old January 28th 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Mike Coslo Mike Coslo is offline

Default Those Old Study Guides

wrote in
ups.com:

a most interesting history lesson snipped for brevity

Generals. This was in the era when FCC not only had many scheduled
exams, but would also send out traveling examiners upon request if a
minimum number of examinees could be guaranteed. Ham exam sessions
were being conducted by FCC at hamfests, conventions, and club
meetings, and the perceived need for the Conditional disappeared.

---

Your recollections are correct, Cecil, with minor corrections to the
Conditional distance. Which changed right around the time you got the
license, as did the retest rules.

Although I can see a few quirks here and there, I would have to say
that overall the testing, requirements, and methods have improved
over the years, rather than regressed. I had to chuckle at some of
the early stuff, which was awkward, and most arbitrary. Some of
those tests amounted to "open book" tests, which are surely easier
than Open pool tests.

Certainly if there were only a few exams existing for the different
levels, it would be very important to be hush-hush about the
contents of those exams. It certainly would argue against those few
tests being so much superior.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -