Old January 28th 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Mike Coslo Mike Coslo is offline

Default Those Old Study Guides

wrote in news:1169855065.939325.130280
@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

On Jan 25, 7:52*pm, Cecil Moore wrote:
wrote:
Just getting to
the exam could be a major journey, depending on where you lived.

Come to think of it - my parents drove me to the Houston
FCC office for my Novice exam so at that time the distance
limit was still 125 miles. A year later, when my Novice
expired, I was eligible to take the Conditional by mail
because the distance limit had been reduced to 75 miles.
I have lost track of exactly when I got those licenses
but that knowledge should help to bracket the dates.

Here's an exact date, Cecil:

June 10, 1954

On that date, the "Conditional distance" was reduced from 125 miles to
75 miles "air-line" from a quarterly examining point.

Also on that date, FCC stopped giving routine Novice and Technician
exams at FCC exam sessions, and instead gave the job to volunteer
examiners. After that date, Novice and Technician exams wouyld be done
by mail regardless of distance from and FCC exam point.

HAR! exactly 1 day after I was born! They must have known......

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -