Old January 28th 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Mike Coslo Mike Coslo is offline

Default Those Old Study Guides

Dave Heil wrote in
hlink.net:

Mike Coslo wrote:
wrote in
oups.com:

On Jan 25, 9:26 am, Cecil Moore wrote:
wrote:
Your recollections are correct, Cecil, with minor corrections to
the Conditional distance. Which changed right around the time you
got the license, as did the retest rules.
Thanks Jim, for the history lesson.
You're welcome, Cecil. Thanks for reading.

The old Conditional was preceded by the Class C, which was
essentially the same license with a different name. Early 1930s
until the 1951 restructuring.

Some folks think that the 1964-65 rules Conditional changes really
cut into the growth of US ham radio. After those changes, a ham who
wanted a renewable license with HF privileges pretty much had to go
to an FCC exam point unless s/he lived *way* out in the boonies.
Just getting to the exam could be a major journey, depending on
where you lived.

I understand what you say here Jim, but I don't agree. If a
person
can go to the trouble of learning Morse code, they should be able
to go to the trouble of traveling to the FCC exam points. I can't
imagine that a peron who went to the trouble of learning the
material would feel otherwise.

Just for grins, Mike, make the applicant 12-14 years of age. Put him
in a family with one automobile where the father works during the day
and the mother doesn't drive.

I was lucky - all I needed was decent shoes and a couple of subway
tokens. Three quarters of a mile to the 69th Street Terminal, the
Market-Frankford Subway-Elevated to 2nd Street, and a block south to
the US Custom House.

I travelled about 120 mikes fro my Tech, about 300 for my
General
written CSCE, a mere 20 for my Element 1, and aroud 70 for my
Extra.

The nearest examination point when I was a kid would have been better
than 50 miles each way, in a time before there was an Interstate
Highway anywhere nearby. The journey each direction would have taken
at least an hour-and-a-half over two lane mountain roads. The
examination point was one of those which the FCC visited quarterly.

Dave K8MN

It is interesting how times change, Dave. Just as an aside, those
are the types of roads I see out these days. Things have changed, I
suspect that autos are more comfortable and better handling today.
Certainly if a person couldn't drive yet, there would be another hurdle
getting the parents to join in on the fun. All the more challenge.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -