Old March 28th 04, 09:11 PM
mike

KC8WVG , Bill wrote:
I'm trying to locate an emergemcy source of power to operate my 2meter
base rig in the event of a power outage. My HTX-242 manual states the
current drain of the transmitter as 8A @ 45W and 4A @ 10W. Would a 17aH
jump start battery work? Or is there something better, yet not to costly?

I'd be interested to hear peoples' thoughts on what constitutes a
2-meter emergency during a power outage.
In winter, I'm most concerned about the gas heat not working and the
pipes freezing. Conversely, in summer, I worry about the freezer
thawing. Being able to talk to the same two guys I talk to every day
on 2-meters is NOT a priority. A power outage is a great time for a
nap...maybe even with the old lady...

If you don't already have a rig in the car, it's not too hard to set up
so you can throw it in the car in such an emergency.

A handheld can also serve the emergency needs...and can serve to satisfy
your 2-meter Jones while walking or shopping or whatever else takes you
away from the rig.

The biggest problem with the portable battery station is that you don't
use it...it goes flat...sulphates...and can't hold a charge when you
need it. I charge mine on a regular schedule and it still goes flat...

mike

--
Return address is VALID.
Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment