Old January 28th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] r2000swler@hotmail.com is offline

Default why Bother getting a licence to use a GMRS radio?

On Jan 28, 2:53 am, "General Mobile Radio Service |nformation"
wrote:
"Sarge" wrote :

Does the FCC think that people will actually pay $75 bucks for a
licence when u can use a gmrs without one and not get caught.
How can they catch you if you don't give out your name on the radio and
make up call letters?

As a ham operator,I can point out people who get busted all the time.
Believe me, they will find you.They don't learn. They get warned all the time. Then when they get

caught, they just cry and say "i didn't know".

Can you or someone provide a direct link to FCC busts on GMRS or MURS?
I must be searching wrong, because I could find no busts. Heck it is
very
hard to get the FCC to act in cases of deliberate interferene on the
ham bands.
And I guess you would have to run a gazillion watts before the FCC
would take
any action on 11M CB these days.

The FCC is not a rules enforcement agency these days, it is a
frequency broker.
The whole move to HDTV is so the old NTSC freqs can be auctioned off
to the
highest bidder. The FCC is so busy selling freqs they have little to
no time
for most enforcement actions. Sad but true.

And I think the FCC has given up on technical standards for TV,
regardless of
ATSC or NTSC, it all sucks big time. Black in NTSC should be 7.5IRE,
all of the
local stations run black levels from 0 to at least 20. Synchronous
switching,
in a dream. If the FCC can't/won't enforce the most basic TV
standards, violations
of which used to create serious lissues for TV stations, I suspect you
would have
to threaten an important politico, interferr with a public safety
(fire or PD) or show
a bare boob during the superbowl to get any attention from the FCC.

I will ask again, can someone provide links to the massive busts of
unlicensed
GMRS bootleggers or MURS?

Terry