Old January 28th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
chuck chuck is offline

Default Optimum length for ladder-fed dipole

Rick wrote:
I'm planning a dipole installation fed with ladder line and a
wide-range antenna tuner.

I'd like to be able to use it on 160 through 10. A half wave at 160
meters is a bit under 260 feet. Is there any particular reason I
should limit its length to 260 feet? I have enough room to make it
about 320 feet... any particular reason I shouldn' t do that?

Thanks...

Rick

You might give some consideration to radiation patterns at the higher
frequencies where greater lengths will produce more pronounced lobes and
nulls and reduce broadside radiation. You might check cebik.com for
further information.

Chuck