Old January 29th 07, 03:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Stefan Wolfe Stefan Wolfe is offline

Default Optimum length for ladder-fed dipole

"Rick" wrote in message

I'm planning a dipole installation fed with ladder line and a
wide-range antenna tuner.

I'd like to be able to use it on 160 through 10. A half wave at 160
meters is a bit under 260 feet. Is there any particular reason I
should limit its length to 260 feet? I have enough room to make it
about 320 feet... any particular reason I shouldn' t do that?

Since you are using ladder line (assuming you use a suitable gauge for the
power transmitted), the dielectric and resistive losses losses are
insignificant even at relatively high SWR. I doubt it matters much whether
your feedline is 100 feet or 320 feet; most relected power will still get
transmitted out and not be absorbed as heat.