Old January 29th 07, 05:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dave Heil Dave Heil is offline

Default Schlecks' Schlock!

wrote:

Yes, but the "welcomes" would STILL be out of the ARRL
hymn book, unchanged.

[insults]

You forget that so many hams are so into THEIR thing
that they've seldom reached out of their own experiences
to imagine How To Do It with total strangers.

For example, that hoary old schtick "Talk anywhere else
in the world on your own radio!" with a ham license.
While true, the ionosphere is not open 24/7 and folks in
far lands aren't keeping the same time as any in the 7
time zones of the USA.

You've introduced another of your factual errors, Leonard.
Barring a solar flare, it is quite possible for me to talk to radio
amateurs in other parts of the world around the clock if I have some
knowledge of propagation and of sunrise/sunset times. I can work the
Japanese, Asiatic Russians, Australians, New Zealanders and the like on
160, 80 and 40 meters near my sunrise. I can work Europe, the Middle
East and Africa during my morning and afternoon hours on at least one of
the bands 10/12/15/17/20m. Near my sunset I can work the Europeans,
Middle East and Africa on 30, 40, 80 or 160m.

I would have thought that a man with your expertise would have known
these things.

A little handheld cell phone
can do it, no sweat. Co$t? Much less than a fraction
of a ham station, antenna, cost and the nasty looks from
spouse or family on wasting time with ham radio.

Does it cost less? Start calling folks in Japan and Australia. See
those minutes add up. Do you think you'd get funny looks from your
spouse or family if you told them that you were just calling a series of
overseas friends every day for a chat?

"Learn a lifelong whatever?" Possibly for a teen-ager.
For Mr/Ms Ordinary Other Job Skill probably NOT.
One thing all these "I-learned-it-as-a-teenager" extras
forget that there isn't any set "requirement" to do it
that way. Since they kept harping on the "no age
limit" thing they've totally forgotten that it works the
OTHER way on the "age spectrum."

It is difficult to make out just what you mean, Len. What works what
OTHER way on the "age spectrum"? Do you mean that there is an upper age
limit? Do you mean that old folks have other things to do? Do you mean
that amateur radio wouldn't be lifelong for an old person?

When you boil everything down to a slow simmer you
won't find ANY of these lofty radiomen interested in
helping others, only themselves.

Now you're making additional factual errors based on your lack of
personal knowledge. Now you can let your slow simmer turn to a slow burn.

Everything from
collecting Titles and Certificates to Club Calls for
clubs that don't exist.

Pardon me for noticing, but the above doesn't appear to be factual or a
sentence.

They won't step out of their Personal-Interest area to
see how other groups do it, won't acknowledge other
groups surviving, and think the world of reality is still
the same as when they were young long ago.

Excuse me, Leonard. I hate to interrupt spirited soapbox oratory, but I
don't understand what when you write "to see how other groups do it" and
"won't acknowledge other groups surviving".

I'm under no misunderstanding that today's world is the exactly the same
as it was when I grew up. Some things don't change. There are parents
and children and family budgets and competing areas of interest.

I don't know the "answers" to getting anyone involved.
I can - dispassionately - tell them what the amateur
radio service is supposed to be.

....as you've been told and as you understand it.

I would rather tell
them about the wonderful opportunities in engineering
or many other technologically-oriented occupations.

I think you'd be the last guy in the world I'd want to ask about leisure
activities then.

It's NOT my job to "tell" these lofty "superior" amateurs
how to do it.

You've told us for years that it was your job. You became a
self-appointed advocate.

If they were so damn "superior" they
would already KNOW. shrug

If you were so damn "superior", you'd have had that "Extra right out of
the box" for seven years.

36.5

33 1/3

Dave K8MN