Old January 30th 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
[email protected] LenAnderson@ieee.org is offline

Default Quantity Over Quality (Was: Unwritten policy and the intent of the average amateur ...)

On Jan 29, 3:32�pm, Dave Heil wrote:
KH6HZ wrote:
"Bob Brock" writes:

Right. *Radio Shack pimps the hot products for the moment. The way I see
it, them not even carrying license manuals speaks volumes about demand for
them. *Now, when you walk into a Radio Shack and see loads of HF antennas,
HF rigs, and a shelf of study guides; then you can say that Ham radio is
back in demand.

Radio Shack cannot compete with big discount houses like HRO.I disagree, Mike. *Radio Shack had its roots in selling amateur

equipment when it was a Boston firm decades back. *When Tandy bought it,
it in good shape. *It swallowedAlliedElectronics back around 1970 and
either closed or turned into Radio Shack stores, all of theAllied
retail outlets. *It owns and operatesAlliedElectronics as an
industrial distributor. *Right now the company is in search of itself.

Really? Wow, Allied is LYING to us!

I just pulled down the 2007 Allied catalog from the shelf, the one
that arrived at the end of last year. 2,192 pages, 8 1/2 x 11
format. It's about 2 13/16 inch thick. I looked at the corporate
address on the back page:

Allied
An Electrocomponents Company
7410 Pebble Drive
Fort Worth TX 76116

I've ordered from them via Internet. As a result I'm on their
"announcements" e-mail list. I remember Allied from its
beginning days in Chicago, IL. Back in 1956 they had a
large store there selling 1956-era electronic parts. Can't see
a thing about "Tandy" in that catalog.

I was unaware that they were once a "ham radio supplier."
All the time I thought they supplied parts to the electronics
industry. Thanks for clearing that up.

It's always a treat to hop in here and get the "real low-down"
from the ...

Oh, and that 2007 Allied catalog sits next to the Mouser 2006
catalog #628...almost as big in size and pages. Those two
sit next to the Jameco February 2007 catalog, not as big but
sure looks like it is going to be a very big distributor some day.

It's nice to see all those distributors have "found themselves."

Regardez,
LA