Old January 30th 07, 02:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
JimC JimC is offline

Default Worldband vs. Shortwave on Google Trends

d wrote:

What is, and has been, needed is fresh blood in the hobby. How many
THOUSAND more hams would there be right NOW if the dumbasses (you know
who you are) that have fought dropping the pathetically obsolete
requirement for Morse hadn't been so short-sighted?

/bitching done for now
//misses the BBC broadcasts to North America
///afraid that all HF as we know it will soon be a thing of the past

Times change

Roadie wrote:

On Jan 29, 12:35 pm, wrote:

That reflects what most of us know - there is less and less to hear on
the HF bands and there are fewer and fewer people tuning in. The
shortage of messages even remotely related to shortwave on
rec.radio.shortwave is yet another indicator of how shortwave radio
has changed.

As a novice who recently began DX-ing on a Realistic DX-160 and a Radio
Shack DX-398/Sangean ATS-909, I'm sorry to hear that shortwave
broadcasts may not be what they were when I was scanning signals with a
Hallicrafter -38 years ago. Still, it's pretty exciting to dial into a
band with a concentration of stations from around the world.

Regarding the missing BBC broadcasts, I think I'm getting one or two BBC
broadcasts, though I'm not sure where they are broadcasting. Can
anyone tell me when, and at what frequency, I should try to get BBC?
It's interesting that I can get five or six stations quite clearly from
their internet web site, including recordings of recent broadcasts. Also
listened (on my computer) to their live broadcast of the Cambridge
King's College Christmas music.

Jim