Old January 30th 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Bob Brock Bob Brock is offline

Default Quantity Over Quality (Was: Unwritten policy and the intent of the average amateur ...)

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 22:30:06 -0500, "KH6HZ" wrote:

"Bob Brock" wrote:

Perhaps when HRO has the floor space of Radio Shack, you might have
a point.

HRO doesn't compete against Radio Shack in the same market. Radio Shack is
consumer goods, HRO sells in a niche market. Radio Shack is retail, HRO is
mainly mail order.

And that was my point. If it reaches the stage where radio shack (or
Wal-Mart) has jumped on the band wagon, we may need to worry about
overpopulating the bands. As long as the only place to find equipment
is pretty much mail order to a "niche market," growth is good. BTW,
there was a time that Radio Shack targeted a "niche market." However,
those times are long past. IMO, their products were poorly made knock
offs of good equipment.

The other option is for the last ham to turn off the lights before he
dies out and the bands are sold to commercial interests.