Old January 30th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Bob Brock Bob Brock is offline

Default Quantity Over Quality (Was: Unwritten policy and the intent of the average amateur ...)

On 29 Jan 2007 16:44:02 -0800, "
wrote:

On Jan 29, 3:32?pm, Dave Heil wrote:
KH6HZ wrote:
"Bob Brock" writes:

Right. adio Shack pimps the hot products for the moment. The way I see
it, them not even carrying license manuals speaks volumes about demand for
them. ow, when you walk into a Radio Shack and see loads of HF antennas,
HF rigs, and a shelf of study guides; then you can say that Ham radio is
back in demand.

Radio Shack cannot compete with big discount houses like HRO.I disagree, Mike. adio Shack had its roots in selling amateur

equipment when it was a Boston firm decades back. hen Tandy bought it,
it in good shape. t swallowedAlliedElectronics back around 1970 and
either closed or turned into Radio Shack stores, all of theAllied
retail outlets. t owns and operatesAlliedElectronics as an
industrial distributor. ight now the company is in search of itself.

Really? Wow, Allied is LYING to us!

I just pulled down the 2007 Allied catalog from the shelf, the one
that arrived at the end of last year. 2,192 pages, 8 1/2 x 11
format. It's about 2 13/16 inch thick. I looked at the corporate
address on the back page:

Allied
An Electrocomponents Company
7410 Pebble Drive
Fort Worth TX 76116

I've ordered from them via Internet. As a result I'm on their
"announcements" e-mail list. I remember Allied from its
beginning days in Chicago, IL. Back in 1956 they had a
large store there selling 1956-era electronic parts. Can't see
a thing about "Tandy" in that catalog.

I was unaware that they were once a "ham radio supplier."
All the time I thought they supplied parts to the electronics
industry. Thanks for clearing that up.

It's always a treat to hop in here and get the "real low-down"
from the ...

Sometimes it's easier to just do a quick Google search and you find
things like this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied_Radio

Allied Radio would change ownership in 1970 when Radio Shack's parent
company (Tandy Corporation) bought both Allied Radio & Allied
Electronics. The retail division was merged with Tandy's retail unit
to become Allied Radio Shack, with the main office of both divisions
moving to Fort Worth, Texas. But as a result of the merger, many major
shopping centers would have two Allied Radio Shack stores competing
for the same dollars. As a result, the former Allied Radio storefronts
would fade away, with the former Radio Shack stores taking on both
product lines (and the expense of the extra inventory.) This was in
some ways a more difficult task as the original Radio Shack
storefronts were typically smaller than the Allied Radio stores.

By 1973 due directly to federal court action, Tandy was ordered to
divest itself of Allied Radio, but by that time with the purging of
duplicate stock and closing of low volume stores, there was very
little left to sell off, and the Tandy stores would once again bear
the Radio Shack name.

Since Tandy did not have a commercial-industrial supply division,
Allied Electronics would continue as a "Division of Tandy Corporation"
that served the manufacturing sector until the mid-1980s when it began
to change owners.

Oh, and that 2007 Allied catalog sits next to the Mouser 2006
catalog #628...almost as big in size and pages. Those two
sit next to the Jameco February 2007 catalog, not as big but
sure looks like it is going to be a very big distributor some day.

It's nice to see all those distributors have "found themselves."

Regardez,
LA