Old January 30th 07, 05:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dave Heil Dave Heil is offline

Default Quantity Over Quality (Was: Unwritten policy and the intent ofthe average amateur ...)

wrote:

On Jan 29, 3:32�pm, Dave Heil wrote:
KH6HZ wrote:
"Bob Brock" writes:
Right. �Radio Shack pimps the hot products for the moment. The way I see
it, them not even carrying license manuals speaks volumes about demand for
them. �Now, when you walk into a Radio Shack and see loads of HF antennas,
HF rigs, and a shelf of study guides; then you can say that Ham radio is
back in demand.
Radio Shack cannot compete with big discount houses like HRO.I disagree, Mike. �Radio Shack had its roots in selling amateur

equipment when it was a Boston firm decades back. �When Tandy bought it,
it in good shape. �It swallowedAlliedElectronics back around 1970 and
either closed or turned into Radio Shack stores, all of theAllied
retail outlets. �It owns and operatesAlliedElectronics as an
industrial distributor. �Right now the company is in search of itself.

Really? Wow, Allied is LYING to us!

I just pulled down the 2007 Allied catalog from the shelf, the one
that arrived at the end of last year. 2,192 pages, 8 1/2 x 11
format. It's about 2 13/16 inch thick. I looked at the corporate
address on the back page:

Allied
An Electrocomponents Company
7410 Pebble Drive
Fort Worth TX 76116

Here you go from the company's web site, Leonard.

quote
Allied History
Over the years, Allied Electronics has built an enviable reputation as a
distributor of electronic components.

Since our conception in 1928, Allied’s main pursuit, and now our legacy,
has been providing excellence through customer service. Now, as part of
the Electrocomponents Group, Allied has added a global presence to our
customer orientation – the latest chapter in our fascinating, eight
decade history.

1928: Allied Radio was established as the radio parts distribution arm
of Columbia Radio Corporation. The company was soon to become one of the
most recognizable names in the electronics industry.

1932: The company built a growing business in marketing radio parts and
kits to home hobbyists, and was one of the first to sell electronics
through a catalog. In addition, Allied opened storefront distribution
outlets to reach more amateur ham radio operators and experimenters.

1941-45: Having survived the depression, Allied focused on the war
effort, primarily servicing government contracts and high-priority
industrial orders. Allied gained experience in the industrial arena for
the first time through government and military contracts, which laid the
groundwork for the distribution niche we occupy today.

1946-60: The electronics industry exploded as new developments in
electronics were adopted on a widespread basis in commerce and industry.
Innovations such as television, industrial automation, space technology
and defense accelerated the need for electronics. Consumer demand also
grew as radio sets and components not available during the war
proliferated. During this exciting era, Allied gained both the
experience and specialized staff necessary to handle both consumer and
industrial sales.

1962: The first industrial catalog for Allied Electronics, a subsidiary
of Allied Radio, was released. The company continued to serve both
amateur and professional ham radio operators as one of the few places to
locate that “hard to get” piece of radio equipment.

1970: Allied moved its headquarters from Chicago, Illinois to Fort
Worth, Texas.

1981: Allied began the process of moving from an all manual system to a
fully computerized company. The process was completed in 1985.

1995: Allied is the first electronics distribution company to come out
with a CD-ROM catalog and quickly followed-up by entering the e-commerce
arena with the launch of a web site.

1999: Allied Electronics acquired by Electrocomponents of the United
Kingdom.

2000 & Beyond: The combination of Allied's commitment to a high level of
customer service and Electrocomponents’ global reach delivers a very
powerful supply chain solution to meet future customer demands.
unquote

So, as you can see, Leonard, the company was sold by Tandy to an outfit
in the UK. There is still some tie to Radio Shack as there a link on
the site featuring the Radio Shack "RS" logo.

I've ordered from them via Internet. As a result I'm on their
"announcements" e-mail list.

You can't imagine how happy this news of yours makes me, Len. When I
was an outside salesman for the firm, it was owned by Tandy.

I remember Allied from its
beginning days in Chicago, IL.

You couldn't possibly remember as you can see from the company history.

Back in 1956 they had a
large store there selling 1956-era electronic parts. Can't see
a thing about "Tandy" in that catalog.

Allied wasn't owned by Tandy in 1956. If you've been reading along,
Allied was acquired by Tandy in 1970.

I was unaware that they were once a "ham radio supplier."

They sold *all* of it: Collins, Hallicrafters, Drake, Central
Electronics, Johnson, Ameco, Hammarlund, etc. My first amateur radio
equipment was bought from their used equipment list. Of course Allied
pushed their own "Knight" brand as well.

All the time I thought they supplied parts to the electronics
industry. Thanks for clearing that up.

They did that very well until Tandy took over. That began the downhill
slide for Allied.

It's always a treat to hop in here and get the "real low-down"
from the ...

It is evident that I knew more about the company than you. Always glad
to help fill in the gaps in your knowledge.

Oh, and that 2007 Allied catalog sits next to the Mouser 2006
catalog #628...almost as big in size and pages. Those two
sit next to the Jameco February 2007 catalog, not as big but
sure looks like it is going to be a very big distributor some day.

I'm pleased to hear of the very good organization of your catalog shelf.
My congratulations on your hard work.

It's nice to see all those distributors have "found themselves."

Are you going to attempt lecturing me about the electronics distribution
business too, Len? It'll be just one more thing in which I've been a
participant and you have not.

Regardez,
LA

Dave K8MN