Old January 30th 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dave Heil Dave Heil is offline

Default What's in a name?

KØHB wrote:
I'm sure it's all innocent oversight (or maybe not), but does it seem
that the notion of field members is disappearing from the radar screen
at HQ?

A few years ago we eliminated 'Section News', traditionally the 'local
news' of our club (yes, ARRL is a club) from QST, and now I see an
article on the League web site that the Membership and Field Services
departments have been organized out of existence into a larger
department with the ambiguous name of "Programs and Services".

Paraphrasing the old cliche "You are what you eat", a study of
organizations will reveal "You are what you call yourself". When the
names "Field" and "Membership" disappear from HQ departments it sends
a troubling message about where HQ attention is focused.

Remember some years back when I quoted Dick Irving K3FK as saying that
there comes a point in the life of any bureaucracy when it forgets the
purpose of the organization and begins to spend its time perpetuating
the bureaucracy?

Here's a serious suggestion to our elected leaders and HQ hired help.
Maybe if you pay more attention to MEMBERS you'd have more of them.
Leave the lawyering and lawsuits to the ACLU.

You'll note that the guy who made the announcement is the same guy Wayne
Mills mentions when he made his voluntary exit from the DXCC desk.

Dave K8MN