Old January 31st 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
[email protected] LenAnderson@ieee.org is offline

Default Quantity Over Quality (Was: Unwritten policy and the intent of the average amateur ...)

From: Bob Brock on Mon, Jan 29 2007 11:10 pm
On 29 Jan 2007 16:44:02 -0800, " wrote:
On Jan 29, 3:32?pm, Dave Heil wrote:
KH6HZ wrote:
"Bob Brock" writes:

Poor Heil doesn't
realize he's been controlled every time he tries to
control others! :-) Gotta love it...! :-)

Right on. Jim and I had a long, long thread going quite some time ago
on this very subject ("Owned or free...", IIRC) whereby I attempted to
point this very fact out to him. And still, many months later, he
continues to correct, proclaim and argue, often in multiple posts
daily. Regardless of how quixiotic this pursuit is, the good fight
must be fought!

Think "Rocky Balboa" as their "role-model" in their heads.

[note the geographic nearness of Philadelphia... :-) ]

The fanstasy syndrome is, unfortunately, endemic to the
human psyche. PR folks earn their living capitalizing
on that. CELEBRITES become paragons of just about anything
due to PR work. The "audience" confuses the CHARACTER
(on-screen) with the real person portraying the character.
I am waiting for the first HAM-ACTOR to be featured in
QST...how will the League portray him or her? :-)

On computer screens the fantasy syndrome can easily "take
over" and the God of Radio (in here) is formed, complete
with cliques of like-minded "gods" proclaiming "their"
greatness, expertise, and "better than the 'inferiors'
(not of their clique)." The problem for the group as a
whole is that once "IN" that fantasy, their egos refuse
to let them admit any wrong-doing...they were "always
right" and everyone else disagreeing with them "always
wrong." Case in point is Cranky Spanky and his constant
"corrections" on minutae, word play (everything "must" be
"factual" and "absolutely standard"), history of radio
(that he could never have experienced personaly).

Ya know (almost paraphrasing 'John Smith I'), after almost
two dozen years of computer-modem communications, I'm
beginning to wonder if I have seen all the possible
basic types...all I see is small variations, sub-sub-
genres of basic conditions. The variations vary with the
general topic (supposedly) but it all boils down to EGO
and "credentialism" and something akin to "the divine
right of kings" (to RULE). In a hobby activity. ?

For some reason, these guys just don't get it. This personality type
seems to be compelled to respond to every 'poke and jab', quite
predictably, time after time. It is a classic response to stimulus,
right out of your old Psych 101 textbook......If there is, as the old
adage goes, "a sucker born every minute", they seem to have a long
lifespan.

Not always that long. Two regulars in here, high code-
rate tested and Titled as "amateur extras" have passed
on. Haven't heard of any no-code-test advocates going
beyond the ionosphere. They were adamant to their end
on the "necessary skills" etc., etc., etc.

Some of the gods-of-radio clique have gotten clever in
what they consider dialogue. Cranky is really good at
the IMPLIED expertise question-challenge: "Len, you
don't know all of my education" or "Len, you don't know
all the experience I've had with other modes" for two
examples. Yes, I don't and Yes, I don't give a ****.
What one writes and HOW they write it are the "tell" if
anyone has the experience or desire to do something...
which lets me know whether anyone really cares to talk
about a project or activity. I could care less if their
"friends and neighbors" come over to applaud and praise
their hobby things. :-) Even a "frankenbox" kluge will
look high-tech and mysterious to someone not involved
with electronics. shrug I've known that for a long
time and don't make it a point to point to "wondrous
works" out of my workshop. I do that stuff because I
like to to it for me, not "my friends and neighbors" or
to earn "credentials" or to tack a (misused) "honours"
label of a callsign after my name.

Back a while ago we had a friendly little discussion on
the old Icom R-70 communications receiver. Cranky and
der Robust Oberst had to butt in and attempt to change
the subject, apparently on their ever-present need to
show me I'm such a newbie, a "nothing" in "radio." :-)
I've never claimed that R-70 to be "best in the world"
or anything else but reliable. Did a full work-up on it
last year and it still meets Icom's stated specs for
performance. shrug Those specs were state-of-the-
art two decades ago and still are. Heh heh heh...I can
turn them on just by mentioning I "paid cash" for it.
I did. I earned every penny of that "cash" by working
for a living (in regular hours then). I'm still trying
to decipher WHY earning a living is such a "moral flaw"
to them in regards to radio. :-)

It is a lot of fun to crank them up and watch them go, though - must
say, I've done it a time or two myself!

OK, OK, more than two....

No sweat to me. :-) Been there, done that, got so
many T-shirts...etc.

I'm still expressing (internal) wonder at Herr Oberst
and his moral felony charges of NOT GETTING A HAM
LICENSE *FIRST*. And, AFTER ALL THIS TIME! Wow! It's
practically a charge of "treason!" This "Joe McCarthy"
of the newsgroup is really Captain Oblivious to what I've
said about my actual interest in RADIO. Not amateur
radio but ALL radio. I think it marvelous and got INTO
my career because of a fortuitous exposure to big time
HF comms when I was young and serving my country in the
Army. NO! NOT CORRECT! NOT PROPER! MORAL FLAW OF
CHARACTER NOT TO WORSHIP, LOVE, HONOR MORSE CODE!

Sigh. Between Cranky and der Oberst they must have
denuded whole forests to collect wood in attempting
to burn me at the stake for such RELIGIOUS HERESY! :-)
[not "environmentally conscious" are they?]

Ahem, on 23 Feb 07 comes the beginning of the Great
USA Radio Depression, the END OF THE WORLD their
imagined little world of morsemanship! I can't wait
to hear what these paragons of pompous propriety
(amateur style) are going to say afterwards! Already
they've been "warning" me to GET A LICENSE! :-)
What, to sanctify my US First 'Phone that morphed
into a 'GROL' two decades ago and is still ON RECORD
at the FCC? [it is lifetime duration now] To
sanctify my work experience that began professionally
55 years ago? To sanctify my (short) 33-year
professional membership (now a Free Lifetime
membership) in the IEEE? Of course! To these
"extraordinary gentlemen" (of comic book fame), my
terrible treasonous moral impropriety was NOT
GETTING A HAM LICENSE *FIRST*!

Quick, call US HOMELAND SECURITY! Have me picked
up, arrested straightaway as an ENEMY OF THE STATE!

Gotta love it. They are more fun than a barrel of
red-hatted morse monkeys!

Come to think about it, they ARE the little red-hatted
morse monkeys dancing to the ARRL organ tunes! :-)

Stay warm up there and best regards,