Old March 30th 04, 01:31 PM
Carol

Hi,

http://va-ares.org/

Virginia RACES has a wealth of information on their web site
for operation during emergencies. Check the reference library section.

Info also includes battery operations and EMCOM training information
that you can download and learn all at no cost to you !

As for the other operator who claimed his emcom work at a shelter
was a waste of time, well, that is a good thing because there were no
emergencies at that location. If a person at the shelter require medical
care, he could have passed this on to the net control or other station.

I agree, most of us are not trained or need to update our skills.
The above link has this information and it is good reading.

In 1996 we had the bad storm hit us hard here in Raleigh NC
and I admit I was not prepared. Had no idea that storm would hit
us as we are three hours from the coast. Boy, was I wrong !
We had no power for 9 days and I live within the city !
Others out in the country had no power for weeks.

Be safe and enjoy the information.

carol

"KC8WVG , Bill" wrote:

I'm trying to locate an emergemcy source of power to operate my 2meter
base rig in the event of a power outage. My HTX-242 manual states the
current drain of the transmitter as 8A @ 45W and 4A @ 10W. Would a 17aH
jump start battery work? Or is there something better, yet not to costly?