Old February 1st 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Matching Issue ........... I think!

Owen Duffy wrote:

wrote in
newsoidnRiueftdl13YnZ2dnUVZ_rXinZ2d@hawaiiantel. net:

I recently built a modified vertical dipole
from wire and using a pole and trees as supports.
I had hoped it would work on 2 bands 75 and 40 but it only
works on one 75 where the VSWR is 1.3:1 and the bandwidth is 85 khz
for the 2:1 points.

On 40 meters the VSWR is over 10:1 so I thought I could use a 1/4 coax
matching section 50 ohms but this doesnt solve the problem either as
the VSWR doesnt change much with the extra coax section.

The feedpoint impedance of a full wave dipole is likely to be in the
region of 4000 ohms.

its half wave

A quarter wave transformer needs to be of Zo (50*4000)^0.5 or 447 ohms.
You will not find a practical coax line with such Zo.

If you for instance used a quarter wave of RG58C/U for a transformer, the
input impedance would be 2 ohms (VSWR=25) (taking into account the 5+dB
of loss in the transformer.

Both the length and the Zo of a quarter wave transformer are important to
its operation.

Does this help to explain the results you observed?

maybe I should have asked does my coax tune my antenna???????

Owen

I did cut the section properly as the velocity factor for the coax is
.78% which gave me 26.825 ft.

Not sure what I am doing wrong or assuming - but looks like I could
use some input.

--
I SPILLED SPOT REMOVER ON MY DOG..............AND NOW HES GONE!!