Old February 1st 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Carl R. Stevenson Carl R. Stevenson is offline

Default Will "no code" license result in meaningful growth?

Information from within ARRL indicates that last year the ARRL VECs, whose
teams handle over 70% ov al VE sessions, per their claim (which I am not
confirming nor disputing), performed over 5,000 VE sessions (with each
session handling multiple applicants/testees).

According to the report, the average session was 5-10 applicants/testees ...
(25-50k testees)

"Reservations" have now jumped to 50-75/session!!!

It appears that no-code WILL result in significant growth. (as I predicted)

While some who want to keep our bands "to themselves" (at least until
they're reallocated for lack of/diminishing use) will bemoan this, I am
elated!

From what I've seen, the ARRL BoD is "Getting It" about the need to welcome
new hams and strongly discourage any berating/insulting/bad treatment of
them just because they didn't have to take a Morse test. BRAVO!

I hope that ALL hams will "get with the program" and act like decent human
beings/Elmers towards the impending, apparently significant influx of
newcomers.

Treat them right and they will assimilate - treat the crappy and you'll
regret it in the long run.

73,
Carl - wk3c